Ask überlin… ANYTHING!
by James Glazebrook
We know that a lot of you come to überlin for practical advice about moving to, and living in, Berlin. That’s why we started the Ask überlin series, where we publish reader’s questions and our responses. But, Schade on us, we’ve slipped back into answering people’s questions by email – which is no good for the rest of you, now is it?
As a way of helping as many of you as possible, we thought we’d collect everyone’s questions here. Then we’ll attempt to answer as many of them as possible in one or more upcoming posts.
So jump into the Comments box below and ask us ANYTHING!
Obviously our “expertise” is Berlin – what it’s like to move and live here, and things to see and do when you visit. But feel free to get “off topic” and ask us about our other interests (music, fashion, coffee…), our day jobs (Zoë loves the camera kit questions!) or everyone’s favourite subject, Olive. She’s all ears.
Also, feel free to chip in with answers for other people’s questions. A lot of the things we’re asked are a matter of opinion, and anyway, we don’t have all the answers!
We’ll start you off with some questions we were sent recently. Have you got an opinion? Or a question of your own? Drop us a comment below…
- How does Berlin compare to London (in terms of creativity, music variety, peoples’ attitudes, etc)?
- Does having an English degree carry any sort of advantage when applying for jobs?
- What are some of the best sites to look for jobs?
- Is there a Drum ‘N’ Bass/Jungle music scene out there?
- As English people, do you feel like you fit in, or is there a sense of being REEALLY far from home?
- Can anyone recommend a shipping company that caused you medium-to-low trauma (from London to Berlin)?
- Does anyone know if there are nursing/healthcare jobs available in Berlin? And what level of German is required to work in them? And is it true that Germans don’t think much of their nurses?
- What would you say the minimum amount needed to survive in Berlin for a year?
- What are your thoughts on renting houses as opposed to apartments? Is it easy to get garden flats? Do you know of any areas where it might be easier to find them or a house? Or as soon as you hit areas which have houses does it suddenly turn boring?!
- In which area should I stay when I visit? Where should I live when I move here?